Friday, July 4, 2008

Risks & Rewards

It is an infrequent occurrence, my posting twice in the same day, but I've just learned something so potentially earth-shattering, I felt I had to.

Facebook may be going public!

At the moment, it's just a rumor, but my reading and research lead me and others to suspect the site may decide to file with the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) to go public and issue stock. If that happens, it could, quite possibly be the next Microsoft.

For now though I'm advising financial caution. Personally, I have about half of my investment portfolio in cash, and the rest divided into what I like to call "Wesley's Super Six". These are what some Wall Street professionals would call "defense stocks" of companies that do well in good times or bad. They are DuPont (chemicals and agriculture), Pepsi (major beverage company that also owns Frito-Lay), AT&T (telecommunications), Bristol-Myers (drugs and medication), Unilever (diversified household cleaning, personal hygiene, and food company), and McDonald's (fast food super-star). These are all companies that produce good/services I know, understand, and/or use on an almost daily basis, so I feel safe, in these troubled economic times, investing the money my grandmother left me in them. Also, they pay an average dividend of nearly 4.25%.

No comments: