Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wesley's Prize Winning Chili Recipe

I know I said I would only post this recipe if the Chili Cook-Off today at Club Paradise (located at 10100 N. Lower Sacramento Rd., Stockton, CA) made $500 or more, but in spite of my best efforts, I don't think we'll make that much. So, I've decided to post it as my August, 2008, "Recipe of the Month". After today, I will NOT be entering this particular version of my chili in any future contests, feeds, or cook-offs. I'll still make it for my friends, I just wont be making it for anything official.

This recipe requires a 7 quart Crock-Pot.

WESLEY'S PRIZE WINNING CHILI
  • 2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
  • 2 medium to large white onions, chopped
  • 6 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chili beans in a mild (wimpy though) or spicy sauce, undrained
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons grated, semi-sweet, baking chocolate
  • 3 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
  • 2 shots of Jim Beam Whisky

(The chocolate & the Jim Beam are my secret ingredients)

  1. Brown the ground beef and 2 teaspoons of the minced garlic in medium, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to separate meat. Drain and discard the fat.
  2. Place the meat and garlic mixture in your 7 quart crock-pot. Add onions, tomatoes with juice, beans with juice, chili powder, remaining 4 tsp of minced garlic, grated chocolate, and the 2 shots of Jim Beam. Mix well.
  3. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 hours. Add the cumin, salt, pepper, and hot sauce during the last hour of cooking.

Makes 8 good sized servings.

I like to serve this dish with my jalapeno cheesy cornbread. Unfortunately for today's cook-off, not one person asked me to make the cornbread, and now it's to late :(

As always, eat and enjoy.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

Hi Wesley;
Sorry to be a bother but could I have the recipe for the Jalepeno cheesey cornbread? It sounds wonderful. Vivian