Sunday, September 14, 2008

Deep Bayou Chowder

Some will (and have) told me that I should not concern myself with things that are none of my business, that I should go along to get along. I have never been able to live my life by that somewhat selfish credo.

So today, I present for your tastebuds delight, a dish not only delicious but heart healthy and diabetic friendly. I care about you all so much I want to keep you all arround, alive and kicking, for a long time.

Deep Bayou Chowder

  • Non-Stick cooking spray
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 cup water
  • 8 oz red potatoes, diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 cups fat-free (ie skim) milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 1 shot gin (optional)
  1. Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Add carrot, pepper and onion and spray vegetables with cooking spray.
  3. Cook and stir about 4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
  4. Add water, potatoes, corn and thyme.
  5. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover.
  6. Simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  7. Stir in milk, seasonings, and the optional ingredients of salt and gin.
  8. Cook for another 5 minutes

This will make 6, 1-cup servings.


As always, eat and enjoy.

Next weeks recipe (yeah, I know I said once per month again, but I changed my mind) will be another heart healthy, diabetic friendly recipe, Roasted Salmon with Sugar Snap Peas.

No comments: