Sunday, December 6, 2009

Arroz con Queso

When I fist started this blog, and long before when I sent out monthly e-mails with my "Recipe of the Month", I originally would just use my grandmother's vast collection of cook-books, new paper clippings, and old family recipes she had committed to 3" by 5" cards as my source material. And if any of you decided to cook the dishes I recommended, you know just how yummy they were.

Now, however, I bring you a dish that I sorta came up with on my own. Why do I say "Sorta"? Well, the truth is I "ala Wesley'd" a dish I found online, and I hope you'll like it as much as I and a good friend of mine enjoyed it.

Arroz con Queso
(Rice with Cheese)
  • 2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes with chilies and garlic (undrained)
  • 1 14.5 oz can Mexican style beans (undrained)
  • 1 1/2 cups long grain converted rice, uncooked
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 4 ounces green chili peppers, canned (undrained)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1 4 oz can sliced black olive with red peppers (drained)
  • 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated, divided
  1. Mix all ingredients except for 1 cup of grated cheese in the slow cooker.
  2. Cover; cook on Low 6-9 hours.
  3. Sprinkle with remaining cheese before serving.

For some, this might be a bit to spicy, but if you enjoy a good southwestern, Tex-Mex dish, you'll really enjoy this.

Not only is it delicious, but it's just so easy to make.

As always, eat and enjoy.

No comments: