Friday, July 24, 2009

Hamburger & Biscuit Potpie

I know I just did my semi-famous "Recipe of the Month" just last week (see Asian Pork Stew), but one of the things about The Tao of Wesley is that like it says in chapter 20 of the Tao Te Ching (and I'm paraphrasing here) "My mind is like the restless wind". Sometimes I don't know forwards or backwards, I just am.

Anyway, here is the special bonus recipe. It is an adaptation from the "Taste of Home: Dinner on a Dime" cookbook I got some time back while waiting in the checkout line at my favorite grocery store. I've made a few adjustments (of course) to try and make it even less expensive than it was originally, but still have plenty of taste.

Hamburger & Biscuit Potpie
  • 1 pound ground beef hamburger
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 of a large white onion
  • 1 to 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tubes (16 oz. each) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits separated into 16 individual biscuits
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onions and hamburger with 1 to 2 cloves of minced garlic till the hamburger is no longer pink. Drain.
  2. While the hamburger and onions are draining, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil and stir for about 2 minutes until thickened.
  3. Stir in the vegetables, salt, pepper, and the onions and hamburger mixture. Reduce the heat to a bare minimum (just enough to keep it warm).
  4. Place 12 of the biscuits 2" apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400* for 5 minutes.
  5. Transfer the hamburger mixture you've been keeping warm into a greased 8" square baking dish.
  6. Place the biscuits over the mixture.
  7. Bake the potpie and remaining biscuits for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the biscuits are a nice golden brown.

As always, eat and enjoy.

No comments: