Monday, October 13, 2008

Deep-Dish Country Apple Pie (AKA The Skipped Recipe)

I just realized, I forgot to post my Recipe of the Month last Sunday, October 5th. I hope you can all forgive my tardiness.

This month is another special diabetic recipe for those who still enjoy desert, but think you cannot have anything sweet anymore, whether it be because of diabetes, heart trouble, or surrendering to the body fascism of the gay community at large.

Deep-Dish Country Apple Pie
  • 5 cups sliced Gala apples
  • 3 cups sliced Granny Smith Apples
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla (*or optionally; 1 teaspoon vanilla, butter, and nut flavoring)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar substitute
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons diet margarine
  • 1 prepared, refrigerated pie crust
  1. Preheat your oven to 425*F
  2. Combine apples, lemon juice and vanilla (*or the optional).
  3. Add flour, sugar, sugar substitute, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss again.
  4. Transfer to 9-inch (ouch!) deep-dish pie pan and dot with margarine.
  5. Cover with crust, and cut several slits in crust. Bake 50 minutes or until apples are tender. (Cover edges with tin-foil during the last 15 minutes of baking if browning too quickly.)
  6. Serve warm or at room temperature. Cover leftover pie with plastic wrap; store in refrigerator.

This makes 8 servings.

Here is a little something extra you might want to try with your pie. I learned this from an episode of "I Love Lucy"; try serving the pie hot, with a slice of cheddar cheese. Yummy!

On a side note, I love "I Love Lucy". She had a voice like the little girl who just found her mother's lipstick. You can hear the twinkle in her voice. Don't believe me? Try watching the next episode with your eyes closed. You can hear the twinkle in her voice.

No comments: