Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hawaiian Kabobs

I just got an e-mail from a good friend of mine, Art Sanderson, former emperor of Chico, California, in response to my announcement that the July "Recipe of the Month" was going to be posted July 6th. He wanted something for the 4th of July, and after thinking about it, I thought some of the rest of my readers might enjoy a special summer holiday recipe as well.

So, here it is. From an old clipping my revered grandmother cut out of an issue of "Better Homes & Gardens" from the 1970s;

HAWAIIAN KABOBS
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 1/2 lbs beef sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
  • 3 green peppers, cut in 1" squares
  • 5 small, FIRM, tomatoes, quartered

  1. In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, oil, corn syrup, garlic, dry mustard and ginger.
  2. Add meat; cover and refrigerate several hours or (best) overnight
  3. Drain the meat, reserving marinade.
  4. Alternate meat, green pepper, and tomato on skewers (note: If you decide to use bamboo skewers, soak them in water overnight to prevent them from catching fire on the grill and burning your kabobs).
  5. Grill over medium-hot coals till desired doneness. Allow about 15 minutes for rare.
  6. Baste the kabobs occasionally with reserved marinade.

This makes 8 servings, and everyone will rave about how tasty your kabobs are.

By the way, I'm moving into a new apartment on July 12th. I plan to register at Target (pronounced Tar-Gay) for housewarming gifts. When I have everything set-up, I plan to have a nice housewarming party. I look forward to seeing you all.

No comments: