Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ratatouille (No, not the movie)

One of my best friends in the world, The Lady Cranberry, Empress of Alameda asked me yesterday if I had any recipes for eggplant, and it reminded me that "Yes, I do." This is a tasty, heart healthy, and overall good for you dish that uses a lot of fresh vegetables, and since you make it in the crock-pot, very easy to make. My beloved grandmother started making this special dish years ago and my grandfather gave it much of the credit for his long life. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I and my family did and do.


RATATOUILLE, WITH PARMESAN CHEESE
  • 1 baby eggplant, dice, or 1 cup diced regular eggplant.
  • 1 small zucchini, diced
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 large shallot or 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 3/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
  • 1/8 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup "NO SALT ADDED" tomato puree
  • 2 tbsp shredded fresh basil
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 salt (optional)
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  1. Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add eggplant; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
  2. Transfer eggplant to slow cooker. Add zucchini, mushrooms, shallot (or onion), garlic and tomatoes. Add oregano, rosemary, pepper, and tomato puree. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
  3. About 5 minutes before serving, stir in basil, lemon juice and salt (if desired). Turn off slow cooker. Let stand 5 minutes.
  4. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
  5. And as always, eat and enjoy.

No comments: