Saturday, April 12, 2008

Tomato Hamburger Soup

I like to save money. I can squeeze a penny till Mr. Lincoln screams for mercy, and the last time I took out a dollar, Washington blinked from the light.

I keep my car well maintained and drive at a safe and reasonable speed that gets me 23.6 miles per gallon.

I buy basic fashions when it comes to clothing so it won't go out of style from one season to the next (I still have perfectly good shirts I bought 16 years ago).

I am NOT, however, cheap. I always buy the best I can afford, and then I make the best last as long as I can. After all, the money I save today, I can use to buy a house or go on a cruise with tomorrow.

So, in the spirit of helping out my readers save a little money, I did some experimenting on one of the recipes my Grandma Gentry clipped out of her "Taste of Home" magazine years ago for "Tomato Hamburger Soup". I've also tried to make it a bit healthier by tweaking an ingredient here and their so those of you who may be having any health problems can enjoy it as well.

  • 4 cans of heart healthy, low sodium, V-8 Juice
  • 4 cups of frozen, mixed vegetables
  • 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
  • 1 can Swanson's vegetarian vegetable broth
  • 1 red onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 shot Jim Beam Whisky
  • 1 teaspoon of Wesley's Secret Spice Blend #1*
  1. In a 3 quart slow cooker, combine the ingredients and mix well.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until heated through.

*Wesley's Secret Spice Blend #1

(Keep stored in an airtight container)

  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt

This recipe will yield about 7 servings for a cost of approximately $1.50 per serving**.

**(Cost per serving depends on the prices as your favorite grocery story)

I like to store my soup in individual plastic containers in my freezer. They make an excellent, and thrifty, side dish for lunch or dinner. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hurray! You beat the triangle.