Friday, June 6, 2008

Off To The Shake & Bake

I just finished the applesauce cake I'm entering in the "Shake & Bake" competition in Hayward, California tomorrow, and I'm hoping to win the $75.00 for first prize.

My cake won't be covered in frosting or anything like that. I feel that "decorating" is more than that. To me, it's all about presentation. So, I will be presenting the cake, which was baked in my favorite bundt pan, will be sliced and arranged in a wheel pattern, with raisins, golden raisins, and mixed nuts in the center and arranged along the outer edge, the way my great-grandmother (who's recipe I'm using) liked to present it. It will be so attractive (I think anyway) it won't need frosting, and the aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves will be intoxicating. I think even if it doesn't win first prize, it will at least bring in a very high, if not the highest, price when the cakes and other baked goods are auctioned off.

The event is being held at the Rainbow Room at 21859 Mission Blvd., Hayward, CA, with the majestical Denicka St. James, empress XXV of Alameda, and Roe Flack Franklin, empress XXXI of Stockton, both of whom I am proud to count as friends. The only problem I foresee is keeping Roe, who I'll be carpooling with, from eating any of the applesauce cake on our way to Hayward. It's not that I don't trust her, I would have the same reservations with anyone riding with me to not eat any of the cake. People I've met have literally pushed and punched others out of their way to get a slice of this cake. Yes, it's that good.

I'll let you all know how it goes at the function when I get back tomorrow, and of course this Sunday is a special show at Stockton's Club Paradise hosted by the Sacramento Gay Rodeo. I plan to sing live (bring your ear plugs).

Sunday, I'll be posting my recipe for the month of June. I know it should have been done June 1st, but I was so busy that weekend, I forgot what day it was. Sorry.

No comments: