Monday, May 26, 2008

Sacrifices Must Be Made

Their was something I wanted to talk about regarding my trip to Fresno's coronation and back home to Stockton this weekend. That thing was my gas mileage.

I was able to do the whole thing at 25 MPG. That's right boys and girls, 25 miles per gallon! How did I do it? By doing something I think very few of you are willing to do. I drove at 60 miles per hour. Driving at that speed meant I had to leave earlier (8:30 AM), and I didn't arrive at the host hotel in Fresno till 11:00 AM, but at 255.46 miles (round trip), I only used just a hair under 10.25 gallons of gas, or at current prices $40.87.

Now, for some of you that may not seem like much of a saving, but compare it to the following. If I had driven at say 70 to 75 miles per hour, my gas mileage would have been an estimated 20 MPG. Keeping all other figures for the round trip constant, it would have cost $51.09 for gas.

By driving just 10 to 15 miles per hour slower, I saved $10.22 worth of gasoline!

I think some of you will still say though that the savings isn't worth leaving so early or driving so slow and that I'm being a bit nitpicky. To you people I say, "Can I have some of that money you're throwing away!"

Don't get the idea that I'm cheap by the way. I am NOT cheap! I am thrifty. The dollar I don't waste driving fast to get one place and then drive fast to get home, is a dollar I can use for more gas, or food, clothing, shelter, or some other stupid, selfish habit of mine. I am frugal. I buy only the best, but then I make the best last as long as possible. That's one of the reasons I have so many different polo shirts. They are very basic, fashion wise, they are easy to accessorize, and when winter comes, all you're going to see is the collar above whatever sweater I'm wearing anyway. I still have shirts I bought nearly 16 years ago, and I'm proud to say I still wear them.

Well, that's all for now. Since the U.S. stock markets were closed today in observance of Memorial Day, I don't have any investment news, but I do have a prediction. Though our markets were closed, the Asian markets, and some European markets were still open. With the markets in Europe falling, the markets in Asia rising, and the comments about recession by former Federal Reserve Chairman Allan Greenspan, I am predicting a volatile day when the U.S. markets open at 9:30 AM (ET). We'll see if I'm right.

Don't worry, I'll keep you informed.

No comments: