Friday, May 16, 2008

Do You Want to Make God Laugh?

Today I remembered an old saying that my grandparents were very fond of quoting. "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans for the future." Well, I must have had God rolling of the floor and laughing His Ass off today.

I had planned to go to Sacramento for the investiture ceremonies of the C.G.N.I.E.'s Imperial Court. I was looking forward to it so much, not the least because I was going to use the $100 bar tab at FACES ( http://www.faces.net/default_R1.asp ) I won in Chico, California, last week, but also because I think getting out and going to events in other cities and states is important to building rapport between Imperial Court chapters.

What's stopping me? One word, "Toothache"! It got so bad, I had to leave work 1/2 hour early. I have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow and until then, I took some Ibuprofen (double the recommended dose) I had left over for the pain I was in after a car accident. That and some Anbasol.

I'd still like to go, and maybe I will, but since I don't know what kind of shape I'm going to be in after the dental work, I thought it best to bow out.

Onto some other news, I've begun building a position in Bristol-Myers (BMY) and was able to add some more to my position in Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (RCL). BMY pays a nice 5.3% dividend, and is trading near it's 52 week low of $20.05 (last traded at $21.94/share). With the majority of analysts predicting it will climb to $26.80 within a year, I'm sitting on a pretty good, long term, investment with BMY.

The same goes with RCL. It's only paying at about 1.9%, but is also near it's 52 week low of $30.04/share (last traded at $30.74/share). Analysts are predicting RCL will climb to over $41/share within a year, so again, a very good, long term, investment.

On a more speculative note, I've begun a conditional offer to purchase (COTP) a new IPO (Initial Public Offering) of a company called Liberty Lane Acquistion. This is a "Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) and the most speculative investment a person can make. SPACs are created for the sole purpose of acquiring a company, and the money invested is returned to the investor if the acquisition is not made within a certain time frame (typically 2 years). The investor doesn't have to hold the stock that long, it's just how long the SPAC has before it must liquidate. The IPO for Liberty Lane is currently set from between $9.99 and $10.01 per share, but has the potential to grow very large, very quickly. I'm doing as much research as I can on this company and it's stock. I'll keep you informed.

No comments: