Monday, May 12, 2008

Everything I Need to Know About Life . . . .

I learned everything I need to know about life from Star Trek, the original series, movies, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, and Enterprise, and I'm going to pass on some of that wisdom now.

To paraphrase a line from Captain Kirk, "Mr. Spock, the state employees of Vulcan are logical. That is the only planet in this galaxy that can make that claim." I'm having a problem with one of my co-workers, JG. I have to repeat everything three or four times, and it's driving me crazy, and like many of the other people I work with, she's paralyzed by indecision most of the time.

The Klingons sneer at the Federation, and especially the humans, for this very trait. Chancellor Gowron once said to Captain Picard, "You humans spend all your time saying 'Will this be the right decision or will that be the right decision'. Take action and worry about the consequences later!" The people I work with are like the Federation, and I am the lone Klingon. They never want to make a decision or use independent thought. The always want someone else to do the thinking for them, so if the decision turns out to be wrong, they have someone else to take the blame. Guess what I seem to get a lot of.

I have more gems (or should that be dilithium crystals) of Star Trek wisdom, but I'll share them for another time. I just needed to release the stress of my work day. Surrounded by idiots to afraid to make a decision about anything lest they make the wrong decision, so they make no decision. I swear some of them are so dumb (how dumb are they?), they are so dumb they need written instructions to breath. "Inhale, exhale, repeat as necessary."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You need a poster that says "Decision-making is more thrilling than sex!" Post it in your office in multiple locations