Saturday, May 17, 2008

Back From the Dentist

I just got back from the dentist, and it definite, I'm not going to be able to go to the Sacramento Investitures. The tooth that was hurting will have to be removed Monday, and until then he prescribed some antibiotics and some vicoden. Yep, boys and girls, I'm on "Vikes" at the moment, and I'm feeling REALLY good (silly grin). Anyway, after the extraction has healed, I'll be scheduled for a bridge to fill in the gap.

Onto other news, I have decided to emphatically NOT invest in Liberty Lane Acquisitions, the special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) that listed it's IPO this last Friday. The more I researched, the more I realized the wisdom of Warren Buffet, the Oracle of Omaha, was true. I should stick with investing in what I know and what I understand, and as Jim Cramer said in a recent interview, "These 'companies' can do anything with your money when they get it. I hate these things (SPACS)". I've heard it once said, I forget who said it, that "Nothing is more expensive than regret." Well, I'd rather regret not making money on an investment I didn't make, than losing money on an investment I did make.

Yesterday was also the end of the first week of trading in the CNBC Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge, and I did pretty good. Of the 5 virtual portfolios I put together, #4, which is invested in pure contrarian stocks, did the best, climbing 4.7% for the week, and putting me in the top 11.4%. If any of you would like to sign up for the contest, follow this link https://login.cnbc.com/cas/login?service=http%3A%2F%2Fcontests.cnbc.com%2Fmilliondollar%2Fj_acegi_cas_security_check&login-view=contest&partner-code=null&contest-code=Milliondollarportfoliochallenge. It's not to late to play and maybe win. By the way, for the benefit of those of you who don't know what "Contrarian" means, I have provided another link to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrarian_investing, which I find to be a very useful web site.

That's it for now. The vicoden is really starting to get to me, and I think I'll take a nap for now. Till next time everybody!

No comments: