Tuesday, May 20, 2008

How I'm Gonna Spend My Check

I got my "Economic Stimulus Check" in the mail today, and I've already decided how I'm going to spend part of it.

The first thing I want to do is buy a 10-speed bike. With the cost of gas expected to reach $4.00/gallon (if not already at that price in some places already), it just makes good sense. I live way to far away from where I work to ride my bike to work each day, but my apartment is perfectly located for riding to the grocery store, the mall, the credit union, or anywhere else in Stockton, California, I need to go. I'm also going to buy a few of the accessories that I'll need like a bike helmet and lock.

As for the rest of my check, I'll be paying that on my Atlantis Events Visa card with B of A, and booking my flight to LA in October for my next LA to Mexico cruise.

Not much else worth writing about happened for me today. I'm recovering from my tooth extraction, but had to leave work early today. I was just so freaking exhausted. The dentist advised I sleep sitting up until the bleeding has completely stopped to avoid the possibility of inhaling a blood clot and , well, I won't speak of what she said could happen, but I think you are all smart enough to get an idea of what could have happened if I had. Anyway, when I sleep in that position, I don't get much sleep (though the upright position is great for other things {evil grin}) and found myself falling asleep at my desk. Since I had gotten all the really important stuff done, my bosses said I could go home and recuperate some more.

The only other thing I have worth writing about is what happened in the financial markets today. With the price of oil spiking to $129/barrel, and other inflation worries, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA or simply The Dow) fell 199.48 points or 1.53% from it's previous close. I'm lucky in one sense because only one of my stocks, MCD, is a Dow component, but unlucky in another due to the fact that except for my 100 shares of PSE, which rose $.18/share, and BMY which was unchanged from yesterday, all my stocks fell. I try to look on the bright side though and take comfort in the fact that I keep a large portion of my portfolio in cash to take advantage of price dips like this, and was able to ad another 32 shares to my position in RCL at $30.23/share.

That's all I have to say at the moment. I'll be buying my 10-speed this weekend, and hopefully, I'll be able to find one that was made in the USA. It would hardly make sense otherwise to use my stimulus check to help stimulate the economy of say, China or Taiwan.

I'll keep you informed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When you get your bike make sure to invest in a heavy duty lock. I was cheap and my bike got stolen right from my porch. In fact, you should probably keep inside all together. It's a good purchase, you just have to be very protective of it.