Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Buy, Sell, & Buy

Just 4 more days till June 2nd, the day when I can sell my stock in Pioneer Southwest Energy (PSE), and while it as done o.k. it has not done nearly as well as my stock in IPI.

My plan (and please don't tell God, because you all know my views on how you make God laugh) is to sell the PSE, and add to my position in Pepsico (PEP). I'm hoping to acquire the PEP before June 6th, which is the date of record if I want my new shares to be eligible for the upcoming dividend that will be payable June 30th. PEP recently raised their dividend from $0.375/share to $0.425/share, to reflect not only how well they have done, but to show how confident they are in how PEP will do in the future.

A co-worker asked me recently why I invested in PEP rather than KO (Coca-Cola), and my answer was quite simple. I drink Pepsi (well Diet Pepsi) and don't care for the taste of Coke, so why shouldn't I invest in one over the other. Aside from having (in my opinion) the better beverage, Pepsi owns, among other choice assets, the Frito-Lay brand, and they are some of my favorite snack foods. Though, for the sake of my waistline, I've had to cut down on the Diet Pepsi and salty snacks.

So that's my plan for my next investment. Having bought the PSE (and being none to impressed with it's performance), I'm going to sell it June 2nd and use the proceeds to buy more stock in PEP.

I'll keep you informed on how it goes.

No comments: