Saturday, April 19, 2008

Why I Don't Drink (much)

Whenever I go out, people nearly always ask me the same thing when I walk up to the bar and after my first beer or whatever I drink Diet Pepsi or bottled water for the rest of the evening. It's always, "You sure don't drink much, do you?" or "Why don't you drink?" or some other probing, invasive question about something that really shouldn't be any of their business. Well, for the last time this is why I don't drink (much).

I don't drink when I go out, because I'm usually the one that does the driving when I'm with friends, and when I go out by myself, I want to make sure I get home alive, or at the very least, not ticketed for a DWI or DUI.

No drink, however well the bartender might make it, tastes so good that it's worth being arrested, having to go to court, getting points on my auto insurance, losing my right to drive, possibly ending up in prison, and we all know what happens to hot guys like me in prison (hmmmm, that part might be worth it).

Another reason I don't drink (much) is that my father is an recovering alcoholic, and I've heard from many people, read articles, and seen news reports on TV that alcoholism is hereditary.

I don't totally abstain from alcohol, I just keep my consumption of it under control. When I went on my vacation last year with Atlantis Events http://www.atlantisevents.com/index.aspx on the Royal Caribbean (http://www.royalcaribbean.com) cruise ship Radiance of the Seas, I drank a LOT more than I normally do, but still not so much that I got totally drunk. After all, it was my vacation, I wanted to be able to remember my night before the next day.

So, everybody, that is why I don't drink (much).

No comments: