Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Big Risk

I'm taking a big risk next week. I've begun a conditional offer to purchase stock in a fertilizer company called (if I'm allowed to name it in my blog) Intrepid Potash, Inc..

Why is this a big risk? Well, at the current offering price range, I will have to spend up to $7,800 to acquire 300 shares, and my money will be locked up for a minimum of 30 days before I can sell my shares.

Although I have been building up positions in McDonald's (MCD), General Electric (GE), Pepsi co (PEP), and Alcoa (AA), these are all tried and true companies that pay a nice dividend.

Committing so much money to a single investment in such a large amount all at once scares me. I'm a coward, for the most part, when it comes to money, and cold hard cash, gives me a nice warm feeling.

If the investment is a success, I could end up making a LOT of extra money that can go toward the down payment on a home one day. If the investment is a failure, I could end up living in a box under the highway 4 crosstown freeway.

I'll keep you informed.

I just thought of something funny! If I do end up buying this stock, and it does really, REALLY well, and it helps me buy my home, I will be living in (literally) "The House That Shit Bought". (I hope using the "S" word wont get me in trouble with www.blogger.com. I'm sorry if it does and I hope you'll let me keep my blog.

No comments: