Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Finaly Saw That "Gay" Movie

Well, I finally saw "Brokeback Mountain", and I'll probably have my membership in the gay club revoked, but I didn't like it that much (pause for screams of outrage). I had been meaning to buy a copy of the DVD for some time, but my neighbor beat me to it, and I'm so glad he did and saved me the money. It's only my opinion of course, but I think if it hadn't been for the "gay cowboys" controversy, the movie, if it had gotten made at all, would have gone straight (no pun intended) to DVD or even video.

For me, it was sort of like trying to read "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie. After the Ayatollah Khomeini passed a sentence of death on the author for the "blasphemous" nature of the book, it shot to the top of nearly every best seller list in the world, and even I got caught up in the hype and went out and bought a copy. It was the most regrettable waste of $19.95 I ever spent! That book was so boring, if it hadn't been for the Ayatollah, it would have died a slow, painful, agonized death. I couldn't get past the first chapter of that book!

I had the same experience with trying to read "Moby Dick". I figured any book with "Dick" in the title had to be OK. WRONG! Again, couldn't get past the first chapter.

Sorry folks, but I just cannot bring myself to like something just because everyone else says I should.

No comments: