Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Personal Revelation

I'm going to tell you all a deep, dark, and disturbing secret about myself. It's something so horrible and horrendous, something so vile and vicious that I almost shudder to say it.

What is my secret? What is it about myself that would make the world turn it's back on me and and throw up it's hands in disbelief?

Well, the truth is, I like to play chess.

(Something of a let down after that build up wasn't it.)

I don't play chess for the sake of the game itself, though I do enjoy it. No, what I enjoy more is the conversation that occurs while the game is being played. It is the only kind of game I play with a guy (except for the odd bored game like Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, etc, etc, . . . ).

For those of you who don't know, but would like to know, a little about the history of chess, let's go back to the beginning of the game. Although it was not invented in Ireland (did I mention I'm of Irish descent), it was perfected in Ireland where it still enjoys tremendous popularity. The reason behind this popularity of chess in Ireland is quite simple. Chess is like war, only cheaper, thus making it the perfect game for Ireland, a country very warlike, and dead-ass broke (just kidding).

Not many of my friends play chess, and the only playing I've gotten recently has been with my next door neighbor Greg. We're pretty evenly matched, and both of us play to win. I just wish I had some other guys to play with, and then after the game "play" with.

No comments: