Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stop Preaching to the Choir

This is my response to the people who voted against us here in California with Prop 8 (aka Proposition Hate). Hit them where it hurts the most! Hit them in their bank accounts!

While I do believe we should patronize companies and businesses that support our right to marry whom we choose, that's just preaching to the choir. We should let the companies and businesses that don't that we will NOT buy their goods and services, and why we won't.

To find companies that support our rights, I began with the Human Rights Campaign's "Buying For Equality 2008". I will only patronize those companies that score in the green range, send letters of encouragement to those that scored yellow letting them know they are almost worthy of my business, and those that score RED that I won't patronize them, why I won't patronize them, and why my friends won't patronize them.

That's the first step of my response. My second step is to encourage all of you to invest in and buy the stock of the yellow and red companies. Why? The green companies already know what side their bread is buttered on. But if the GLBT community, who's 2008 buying power was estimated at $723BILLION were to acquire 50% plus 1 share of a red company like Cracker Barrel Restaurant's, we can change their corporate policy.

The hard part for many will be the upcoming holiday season. Wall-Mart is a red company, and I will no longer, for any reason, set foot into one of their stores, let alone spend any of my money in one (or even post a link to their web-site). So, with the upcoming Christmas gift buying of the Imperial San Joaquin Delta Empire for the annual From The Heart project, which buys toys, clothes and other gifts for children who are either infected or otherwise affected by HIV/AIDS, I will be suggesting we spend the money we raise in Target. This is one of my favorite parts about being in the imperial court, but I can no longer allow with a clear conscience the money we've raised to be spent in a company that does not support us or our rights. That is why I will suggest we spend our money in Target which is rated green by the HRC.

Anyway, that's my response. If they don't want us to have the right to marry, I don't want them to have my (or your) money.

I'll keep you informed by they way if any of the letters I send to red companies respond with a pledge to become green.

Addendum-This person said it even better than I did with a YouTube Video. GAYS ON STIRKE!

No comments: