Friday, November 14, 2008

I Just Got a Phone Call

I won't say who it was from, or any details of the conversation, except to say it was basically like every other phone call I've gotten for the last two years. Someone wanted something from me.

Those are the only kinds of phone calls I get any more. If the phone rings, I know someone wants something from me. Either something I have that they want to borrow, or some service they need me to perform.

No one ever calls because they want to do something for me. An invitation to dinner? Come see a new DVD? Go with to see a movie downtown? Nothing purely social, or even just to talk. No one comes over to visit for a game of chess or a cup of tea. Hell, I even keep some bottled beer in my refrigerator for those who want something stronger. Still, nothing.

No comments: