Thursday, September 18, 2008

But I Can Sleep at Night

The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) was a wild roller coaster ride today. Down, up, DOWN, then finishing UP 410.03 points. That's a gain of 3.86% for the day. My portfolio of investments, "Wesley's Top Ten", only went up 1.28% for the day, but I'm not upset in the slightest. Want to know why? Continue reading.

Yes, my stocks only went up 1.28% vs. 3.86%, but yesterday, "Bloodbath Monday on a Wednesday", the DJIA went down 4.5%, and my portfolio only went down 3.75%, so I'm still beating the market.

That's the secret of my success I suppose. I don't go up as much, but I don't go down as much either. Investment equanimity. It let's me sleep at night. That and the portfolio's average annual dividend return of 4.11%.

In other news, I'm not going to be able to make it to the Folsom Street Fair this year. I forgot we have our Amateur Night at Club Paradise on the same day. It's open to all performers, the wonderful Chris Davis is letting us use the karaoke system, and we have Shawn, most recently seen in the Stockton Civic Theatre production of "The Full Monty" acting as our DJ. There will be a first, second, and third place prize, and I intend to perform as well. It will be a lot of fun.

I'll go to the Folsom Street Fair next year, and maybe even the Dore Alley Fair (aka "Up Your Alley") July 26, 2009. It'll give me more time to lose the weight I want to so I wont look like a stuffed sausage in my leathers (evil grin).

No comments: