Saturday, September 27, 2008

The 856 Resteraunt

Yesterday, after work, I went to a restaurant I hadn't been to in a very long time, and I am so glad I went.

The restaurant is "856", conveniently located at 856 West Benjamin Holt Drive, Stockton, California, and owned by the Davis brothers, who also happen to own Club Paradise.

For my dinner, I had the beef barley soup, the Italian roasted half-chicken with seasonal vegetables, and for desert, the creme brulee.

I found the soup very tasty, but did think it could have used maybe a touch more pepper. Yes, I know you can always add more pepper when they bring your soup, but the hallmark of good cooking is that you don't need to add extra seasonings.

The chicken was mouthwateringly delicious, but I found myself wishing I had an extra stomach (though I know some of you might think I already do) because another diner at a nearby table was having the chicken shish kabobs that were the evening special, and if the aroma was any indication, they would have been even better.

The highlight of the meal was the creme brulle' I had for desert. I had it once before at this restaurant, and if possible, it was even better this time! My 2nd favorite part of this desert dish is making the first break in the glazed sugar covering which is one of the signatures of the desert. My favorite part is eating it.

The service I received was phenomenal by the way. It seemed that if my server Nicole, or the cook Benny, even had the slightest idea I wasn't pleased, they redoubled their efforts to make my dining experience a pleasurable one. They succeeded fantastically.

All in all, I would have to give my evening at 856, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, a 10.

I endorse, recommend, and implore you to do yourself a favor and go to this restaurant. Your taste buds will thank you.

No comments: