Friday, October 10, 2008

Very Cold, Very Small Comfort

Just over 1 year ago yesterday, the DJIA reached it's all time high peak of over 14,000. As of yesterday, the main market average is down nearly 40%, below 9,000 points for the first time in 5 years.

Here is my very cold, very small comfort; my portfolio is down just about 11%. I'm down like everyone else, and everyone else is down like the rest of the market. But my stocks are down only 11% vs. 40%.

The only thing I have to look forward to is the dividends I will be earning on the stocks I have invested in.

I've decided to cut a large number of my expenses (IE "EXTRAVAGANCES"), and use the extra cash to pay off my credit cards. I can no longer afford to live as I have been living. So, no more membership to TitanMen.com, no more "short car rides" within Stockton (riding my bike will be better for me anyway), and I won't be going out of town anymore for imperial court functions unless I get at least one other person who agrees to go with me, and only then if they agree to share the cost of the gasoline. Sorry folks, no more free ride with Wesley, unless of course we have to stay overnight, and you agree to pay for the hotel room (I want to be fair after all), and if you agree, then back out at the last minute, I won't go, and, if we go some place out of town, and then you try to back out of an agreement to share expenses (EX. you pay the hotel expense, I pay for the gas) I am quite willing to strand you in a far distant city. I will no longer be taken advantage of or taken for granted by anyone.

I am NOT giving up cruise vacations however! If you say that makes me selfish, F**K YOU!

Side Note: For those of you who are wondering why I didn't actually spell the F-word, I didn't want to have to put up the block you would need to click to confirm entry into the blog. That, and with over 300,000 words in the English language alone, I have never been one for using the same 4-letter ones over and over again. It shows a limited mind.

No comments: