Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mac, the Prop Man

The last few days have been wild, wacky, and stressful for me. Mainly because I auditioned for a part in the Stockton Civic Theatre production of "Annie Get Your Gun".

There were so many people at the audition, many of whom have been in SCT productions previously, and I was very nervous that I wouldn't do a good job, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

For my vocal (ie singing) audition, I sang, or should more accurately say, tried to sing "Different" as sung by Cass Elliot in the movie "H. R. Puffinstuff". A friend of mine had burned the music onto a CD for me, and made a few notes in the sheet music for whoever would be playing the piano at the auditions. I practiced by singing along to the CD for about two weeks prior to the try-out, and had it down cold. To make it even better, the accompanist is a professional from Broadway and told everyone who came that day that he could play anything. Well, leave it to me to pick the one song he couldn't play. It wasn't the song or sheet music per se, it was the notes my "friend" added. They were to lite to read, and so the song wasn't as good as I would have liked it to be.

Nevertheless, I was asked to come back for the dance auditions and reading of the script. During this phase, I learned I'm not a very good dancer (shocked, aren't you?). I read for several different parts, and was cast as a character called "Mac, the prop man". I'm not exactly sure who the character is, but it's experience and I intend to play it for all I'm worth. If I do a really good job, who knows what part they'll consider me for in their next play at SCT.

The next play they're doing by the way will be "The Producers", and SCT will be the first non-professional theatre company in California to produce the show. I'm hoping to get the part Mathew Broderick did on Broadway, the part of Leo Bloom. I'm sure the competition will be tough though.

Whatever happens, I'll keep you informed.

By the way, I have only one complaint about being cast as "Mac, the prop man". They spelled my name wrong in the cast list. It's Wesley not Weslie.

No comments: