Friday, May 22, 2009

Three Minutes of Stupidity

This last Thursday (5/20/09) my friend and roommate, Greg, needed a ride to work. After I dropped him off, I took a shortcut to get to work myself, and at one point along the way, I have to cross over some train tracks. On this particular day, there happened to be a train going along the tracks. A VERY long train.

Well, as you can imagine, the barrier arms were down and all the cars were stopped, waiting for the train to finish crossing, and the arms to go up again. So, I drove up to behind the last car, put it into park, and turned off my engine. I think I was the only one that did (turn off my engine I mean). All the other drivers left their engines running for just over three minutes, which I think was completely stupid.

I mean really! Would you go sit in your car while still in the driveway, turn on your motor and just sit there with it running for three minutes? Would you?

Aside from the fact that you're wasting gas, and I don't care how much it's come down in price recently, it's still way to expensive, it puts all sorts of junk and crap into the atmosphere! Can you say "Global Warming"?

I swear, I just wanted to go from driver to driver and scream at them "Do you want the ice caps to melt so we end up like the movie Waterworld? Turn of your f***ing engine!"

Some of you may be thinking "Maybe they needed to keep the engines running so they could run their air conditioners. Don't be so hard on them Wesley." People, it was 7:45 AM and 70*F outside. If you are so spoiled you need to keep the inside of your car below 70*F and cannot bare to put up with 71*F or more for just 3 minutes, pack up your stuff, quit you job and move to Antarctica where it's nice and cold, for now at least. With all the stupid people running their car engines when they're not going anywhere, it won't be so cold for much longer.

No comments: