Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and My Plan for Revenge

I'm a day late posting this, but I was just so dissapointed by the California Supreme Court's recent decision regarding "Proposition Hate" (aka Prop. 8). I have to admit I expected it though.

First the bad news. As much as we may wish it was otherwise, the role of the California Supreme Court is not to make new laws, but to interperet the laws. Prior to that evil, hatefull proposition back in November, 2008 (and I'm still amazed that a state that voted for Obama also passed discrimination into the law), the court only said that as they understood the law, denying gays and lesbians the right to marry their partners was a violation of the law as it stood. So, Prop. 8, which closed the "legal loophole" and made the definition for marriage in California "One man, one woman". That was the bad news. In short, the justices had no legal choice and said (in a 6 to 1 vote) that Prop. 8 would stand.

The good news is that the people who wrote the proposition up did not make it retroactive, which means that all the 18,000 people who were able to get married within the window of opportunity get to stay married. Either they did this out of stupidity (didn't think of making it retroactive) or out of oportunism (the didn't DARE make it retroactive). They may have thought, somewhere in the back of their tiny, spitefull little minds, that the law would prevent all future marriages as well as current marriages might make people less inclined to vote for it. After all, it's one thing to tell people they can't do something, it's quite another to take away something they already have. Possession is 9 tenths of the law after all. I just wish I had been able to find a really desperate ilegal alien who would have been willing to mary me before Prop 8 passed. Sigh.

Now, my plan for revenge.

The judges had now choice in what they did, so I'm not mad at them. But the people who chose to vote for that hateful proposition are another story. They chose to vote for discrimination. So I say we hit them where it'll hurt the most. If the "Eighters" say that two men or two women cannot get married to each other, I say they don't need our money supporting them. Boycot the red businesses (and let them know why), let the yellow business know they're almost worthy of receiving your money, and give hearty thanks and spend your money in the green businesses. Oh, and boycott anything and everything to do with Utah and Mormon owned businesses.

Here is a link to the Human Right's Campaign's "Buyers Guide for 2009".

I suggested this back in November, after the proposition passed (see "Stop Preaching to the Choir"). I thought it would work then, and I think it'll work now.

It will be hard of course, and relys to much on the honor system, but if any of you have a better idea, please tell me! GAYS ON STRIKE!!!!!

No comments: