Sunday, July 31, 2011

When I Cannot Let it Rest

In my work for the State of California as an accounting technician, every last working day of the month I am required to 'balance the checkbook' for three different divisions in my section. I really enjoy my work, but the last working day of the month can be a very stressful time.

For years now, as a little treat for myself, whenever that day fell on a Friday, I made it a habit to go out to dinner. I used to go to one of two different buffets, but that got to be to fattening (lol), so now it's either a trip to the Olive Garden or Appleby's.

This month, I ended up at Appleby's.

Now, my great-grandmother and many others have often told me that God puts us where we most need to be. Whenever we save a life, help a friend change a tire, help a child who has fallen down, or a winter coat at a 70% off sale, it's because God put us there, and I like to think God had me decide on Appleby's last night to witness the stupidity of man.

Since I was eating alone, I saw no point in waiting for a table or booth, so went right up to sit at the bar. I hadn't been there very long (just long enough to order a glass of water with lemon and the chips and salsa appetizer) when this one guy took a seat not to far from me. What made me notice him was the fact that he was wearing a tank-top.

Please know that I have nothing against tank-tops, I just don't think you should wear anything that exposes your armpits to a restaurant.

Something else that drew my attention to 'Tank-Top Man' was a tattoo I noticed on his upper left arm. The tattoo? It was of a bible passage, not the whole thing of course, just
'Leviticus 18:22'.

Now, I am not a Bible scholar, but I do have a passing familiarity with the Bible, and believe me when I say, it really made me mad that he would display such a tattoo in public. I mean, why not one of the following tattoos instead;



  • God hates shrimp - Leviticus 11:9-12

  • God hates poly-cotton blends - Leviticus 19:19

  • God approves of slavery - Exodus 21:20-21 & Ephesians 6:5-6

  • God wants you to pay your taxes without griping about it - Matthew 22:17-21

  • God approves of the killing of women and children - Deuteronomy 2:33-34

Oh, and lest I forget;



  • God hates tattoos - Leviticus 19:28

I'm sorry, but I'm really getting kind of sick and tired of so called 'Christians' picking and choosing what parts of the Bible they are going to follow.


I also came very close to calling the police on that guy. Why? Well;



  1. He had shrimp with his dinner.

  2. That tank-top was probably a polly-cotton blend.

  3. In a conversation he had with the bartender, he started to complain about 'Those fat cats in DC wanna raise our taxes again'.

  4. He had that ugly tattoo.

That's four biblical violations right there.

1 comment: