Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Little War On Apathy

Some time ago, I posted about how frustrated I had been growing with the apathy of many of the people I had come to know while serving as a volunteer for a local chapter of a non-profit, and I likened it to fighting a war. Well, the war is over. I lost.

I was at a church service recently at Valley Ministries, and the minister, Pastor Terri, told a story of a long ago village in Spain that was to be visited by the king. Now as I recall the story (and if you're reading this, P.T., thank you) this village was most famous for it's grape vineyards and wine making. So, it was decided to give the king wine from each family as a gift, and the head of each family would pour a goblet of their best wine into a huge barrel. When the barrel was tapped though, only water came out because each person withheld their own wine because they thought everyone else would pour in wine, and one goblet of water wouldn't be noticed. Well, when everyone thinks they can get by with water instead of wine, all you get is water.

To many have decided they can get by with giving water instead of wine, and while there is still some wine left in the barrel, it has become so diluted, you can hardly tell anymore, and it's going more diluted with each passing day.

I have, therefore, decided to stop drinking from that barrel, and share my wine in another vat.

No comments: