Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Possible Solution

I had an epiphany earlier today, an idea for a possible solution to the problems faced by the American economy. It came to me when, for some reason, I began to remember a story my grandmother told me of what things were like for her, her parents, and indeed all of the United States, during World War II.

To help finance the cost of the war, the government sold "War Bonds" and, for mainly children, "War Savings Stamps", and my idea was, "Why can't we do something similar now?".

What do I mean?

Quite simply, I think the government should issue special bonds, call them "War Against the Recession" or "Win Against the Recession" (W.A.R.) bonds to finance the public works projects like roads, bridges, damns, alternative energy systems, etc, etc, that President Obama wants to implement to help get our economy working again. Projects that would put millions of Americans to work (without raising taxes to much) so they can buy goods and services from other Americans. It would have the added benefit of helping to control inflation without having to raise interest rates by taking excess money out of circulation.

I think it would work, especially if it was marketed in a way similar to the way they did it in my grandmother's day, by appealing to the patriotism of the American people.

I wrote an e-mail to Senator Dianne Feinstein suggesting my idea, and I will let you all know when I hear back from her what she thought of it as soon as I get my reply.

No comments: