Thursday, January 29, 2009

A New Source of Money?????

I get most of my news from the radio every morning as I'm driving into work and I heard one story today that made me stop and think, and if true, might become California's next source of income and solve much of our economic trouble.

Like I said, I don't know if it's true, but I heard that a group purporting to represent California marijuana growers has been offering to pay the state $1 billion in sales taxes, if only their sales were considered legal. The growers have a petition saying, "Take Our Money Please!"

Now, as a dedicated employee of the State of California I'm faced with a 10% pay cut starting in February. I'm cutting every expense I can, but a person can only cut so much, and some bills (IE car loans and student loans) remain fixed and you cannot switch to a generic brand, and I'm opposed to the use of illegal drugs though I do consider myself "Pro" when it comes to medical marijuana, though I would take the pill form if (God/dess forbid) I developed cancer. But I must admit the thought of the state getting $1billion of extra sales taxes is tempting.

Is this me talking about legalizing and taxing marijuana sales? I wonder if the thought is my own version of "The Devil Made Me Buy this Dress!" by Geraldine Jones? Is "The Devil" making me think these thoughts?

No comments: