Saturday, January 1, 2011

"The King's Speech" - A Movie Review

Today I drove all the way from Stockton to Manteca, California, to see a limited release film called "The King's Speech". It is a dramatization (somewhat fictionalized I'm sure) of the friendship between King George VI and his speech therapist, Lionel Logue.

Now, I know some will think an approximately 30 minute drive (the distance between Stockton and Manteca being some 25 miles) to see a movie that's just a few short steps above a documentary is kind of dumb and (let's face it) nerdy, but I am just so glad I made the trip.

I was slightly amazed by the fact that it is an "R" rated film. My first thought was that it was because of the violence of World War II, but then I came to the realization that it was because of the foul language used by The King and Logue as part of the formers speech therapy. I cannot of course give away to many details of the film and thereby spoil it for any of you who may not have seen it yet, but suffice it to say that there is something supremely funny about the idea of the king of England dropping "F" bombs all over the place and shouting "Tits!" to get over a stutter. I wish my speech therapist had used these techniques.

It was such a good film that at the end, the entire audience (myself included) actually applauded.

I thoroughly recommend "The King's Speech". I give it a 9 out of 10.

No comments: