Sunday, December 21, 2008

You Won't Believe This

This is one of those things you hear about happening to other people, but it actually happened to me last night.

I had just gotten back to Stockton from the Sacramento Imperial Court's Christmas fundraiser, and was quite hungry. I didn't have time, or feel like, cooking anything, and I wanted more than just a PBJ, so I stopped at the drive-up at the McDonald's down the street from my apartment. I won't go into what I ordered, because it's not important to the story, but when I paid, and got back my change, I discovered, after I got home, that one of the coins the cashier gave me was a 1963, all silver, Benjamin Franklin head, half-dollar, which, according to what I've seen on E-Bay is actually worth about $10.00.

I'm in a quandary now. Should I keep the coin, or should I take it back and give it to the cashier who gave it to me. Actually, I know what I'm going to do, but I would like your opinions on the matter, so I hope you'll take my survey.

This is related by something I mentioned once before in that "God and the devil is in the details". For some reason, people don't pay attention, and/or they let their own petty concerns cloud their minds. The cashier who gave me the silver half-dollar in my change probably just didn't want to be bothered with it when it came time to close out the drawer, and the person who gave it to her in the first place didn't want to deal with it since (most likely) vending machines don't take half-dollars. A whole string of people trying to palm off something they saw as being to annoying to deal with, not realizing how valuable that which they saw as valueless really was.

That reminds me of a story I read in one of my Taoist books, but I'll save that post for another day.

No comments: