Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'll Show Them All!

I auditioned for a part in a play recently, and while I didn't get the part I had originally tried out for, the director did ask me to read again for another part in the same show.

I was so happy, and foolishly assumed my friends would be as well. Oh boy, was I wrong.

I don't know if it was intentional or just from a sense of surprise, but when I mentioned the part I was being considered for, they all reacted with what can only be described as shocked outrage, with one going so far as to say how complicated and difficult the part I was being considered for was because he had his own song in the show.

Does he think I didn't know that? After all, I saw the same show at another venue a few years ago. Or, does he think I'm just not capable of doing it? Is it a case of "once in the chorus, always in the chorus"? Does he and others think I'm only able to perform in small bit parts, a background player and nothing more?

I want this part now more than anything. Not just because I enjoy performing so much, and not just because it would be a great opportunity to expand my resume and break out of the "Ensemble Prison", but because my "friends" have been so hurtful and all but coming out to say I cannot do it!

I want to show them that YES I CAN!!!

No comments: