Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tea Party Cowards

First, let me just say how sorry I am for not posting more frequently. I guess that since I started with Facebook, my blog just fell by the wayside, but I'm hoping to change all that. I was just thinking, after reading a Facebook post by my friend Michael Tattersall, and a comment from one Luis H, that the so called republican 'Tea Party' are basically celebrating men who were not so much heroes as cowards. Now, before some start getting all hater on me, please hear me out.

While the Boston Tea Party was an act of resistance and defiance against the Tea Act of 1773, I see it as somewhat of a cowardly act for the men who dumped all that tea into Boston harbor donning costumes and wearing make-up to look like Mohawk Indians. True, they were committing an illegal act and they didn't want they or their families to be arrested and/or executed for the crime, but why not just wear masks? Why try to offer up a scapegoat in the Native Americans.

Some will say that it was a symbolic choice and showed the participants rejecting traditional European symbolism, but I see it as something more sinister. I see it as a way for them to kill two birds with one stone; 'We get to defy the British, and the British will punish the Indians'.

No comments: